Frontend Software Engineer (Contract)
Meet one of your future colleagues!
Xwing is a cutting-edge aerospace technology company focused on revolutionizing the future of aviation. Backed by industry veterans and top-tier investors, our mission is to build a safer, more efficient, and more accessible air transportation system powered by autonomous flight. By combining artificial intelligence, proprietary software, and hardware solutions, Xwing is bringing uncrewed aircraft to commercial aviation. We are computer scientists, roboticists, and aerospace experts who are at the forefront of the transformation of the aviation industry.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and in Concord, CA. In 2021, Xwing completed the world's first fully autonomous cargo flight with a remote crew supervising the flight from the ground. In 2023, Xwing became the first company with a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification project for an uncrewed aircraft system for large aircraft.
Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under "Careers" to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We’re Looking For:
Xwing is seeking an experienced and highly motivated Frontend Software Engineer for a contract position to develop native applications using Qt. As a Software Engineer focused on native UI development, you will help implement new functionality in the user interfaces for our Mission Control Center applications. Your expertise in the Qt GUI framework will be instrumental in completing the upgrade of our user facing product.
Location & Terms: This can be a fully remote, hybrid, or an onsite role. The expected length of the contract is 6 months.
Desired Work to Be Completed:
- Create and animate controls and indicators displayed on the Mission Control Center application.
- Manage multiple views and menus to ensure controls and indicators appear properly.
- Evaluate existing prototype features and include them in the new product’s GUI.
- Work closely with program leads, product owners, UX designers, and other engineers to understand requirements and translate those requirements into effective UI solutions.
- Utilize your Qt skills to develop quality software solutions.
- Conduct code reviews.
- Debug and resolve software defects, ensuring the reliability and stability of the user interface.
- Refactor existing UI to meet standards in modularity and quality.
- Propose and implement innovative solutions to enhance the user experience.
- Participate in the development and improvement of the team’s processes and tools.
- Proven experience (2+ years) with a focus on native UI development using the Qt GUI framework.
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated ability to use C++ language bindings to the Qt libraries.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement complex, efficient, and scalable user interfaces.
- Solid understanding of software development best practices, including code reviews, testing, version control, and configuration management.
- Experience with Linux based development.
- Prior experience developing ground control software or contributions to relevant open source projects such as QGroundControl and Little Navmap.
- Experience with aerospace, aviation, mapping, and coordinate systems.
- Previous experience in leading UI development projects.
- Familiarity with other languages used with native UI toolkits such as Rust.
- Proficiency in the C++ programming language and troubleshooting Qt problems at the C++ layer.
- Familiarity with safety-certifiable aviation software development standards such as DO-278, DO-178, automotive standards such as ISO 26262, or similar medical standards.
- Human Machine Interface (HMI) Design experience background.
- Experience with multi-platform development (e.g. Ubuntu, macOS, Windows).
Compensation: $65 - $95 / hour.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.