Senior Manager, Quality
Meet one of your future colleagues!
Xwing is a cutting-edge aerospace technology company focused on revolutionizing the future of aviation. Backed by industry veterans and top-tier investors, our mission is to build a safer, more efficient, and more accessible air transportation system powered by autonomous flight. By combining artificial intelligence, proprietary software, and hardware solutions, Xwing is bringing uncrewed aircraft to commercial aviation. We are computer scientists, roboticists, and aerospace experts who are at the forefront of the transformation of the aviation industry.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and in Concord, CA. In 2021, Xwing completed the world's first fully autonomous cargo flight with a remote crew supervising the flight from the ground. In 2023, Xwing became the first company with a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification project for an uncrewed aircraft system for large aircraft.
Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under "Careers" to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We're Looking For:
Xwing is seeking a Director of Quality to build and oversee quality assurance, conformity, and product life cycle systems within the company. This role will work across the engineering team and in partnership with company leadership, regulatory and other functions to ensure company regulatory compliance. Will require coordination with internal and external parties, including suppliers and certifying authorities (FAA, etc.).
- Establish, implement and maintain a 14 CFR Part 21 compliant Quality System
- Represent Quality within the Safety Management System fo design and production
- Ensure that all systems developments are coordinated and balanced to function as a cohesive whole
- Engage with key stakeholder to collect, elicit, derive, write, analyze, harmonize, and manage system requirements
- Work with system architect to define system diversity, redundancy, etc. to meet requirements, including sourcing components and working with key vendors
- Define and conduct trade studies and functional analyses
- Facilitate and support verification and validation activities such as writing test procedures
- Support the development / deployment of our configuration management tool
- Interface with other engineers (hardware, software, safety) to track and analyze system progresses.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- 5+ years of experience in a key aviation quality function
- Experience with the development of a quality manual and/or quality management system
- Able to read and interpret engineering drawings, parts lists, and specifications to the level required for the role
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and strategically when implementing products and solving problems.
- Technically savvy and able to ramp up on new technologies quickly.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with both technical and nontechnical individuals.
- Prior experience managing teams and people
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Ability to be regular and predictable in attendance.
- Read, write, speak and understand English language.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-directed and able to work independently or with a team
- Experience with DO-178
- Experience with DO-254
- Familiarity with AS9100 Compliance
- Experience with FAA Type Certification and/or Supplemental Type Certification (TC/STC) and Production Certification (PC)
- Experience with FAA Parts Manufacturer Approval (PMA)
Compensation & Benefits:
Annual Base Salary range: $170,000 - $ 200,000
- Unlimited PTO
- Parental leave
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Various voluntary benefits
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.