Senior Software Engineering Manager
Xwing is a cutting-edge aerospace technology company focused on revolutionizing the future of aviation. Backed by industry veterans and top-tier investors, our mission is to build a safer, more efficient, and more accessible air transportation system powered by autonomous flight. By combining artificial intelligence, proprietary software, and hardware solutions, Xwing is bringing uncrewed aircraft to commercial aviation. We are computer scientists, roboticists, and aerospace experts who are at the forefront of the transformation of the aviation industry.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and in Concord, CA. In 2021, Xwing completed the world's first fully autonomous cargo flight with a remote crew supervising the flight from the ground. In 2023, Xwing became the first company with a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification project for an uncrewed aircraft system for large aircraft.
Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under "Careers" to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We’re Looking For:
Xwing is seeking a Senior Software Engineering Manager to continue building and to lead a fast-growing engineering team. You will be a key leader in our Engineering organization, responsible for driving the success of our software engineering teams and ensuring the delivery of high-quality software products. Your extensive experience in engineering leadership, cross-team collaboration, and people management will play a critical role in shaping the future of our Engineering organization. Your expertise in various embedded and real time programming languages, including C, and your deep understanding of software development processes will be essential in guiding the growth and success of our teams.
1. Engineering Leadership and Strategy:
- Develop and execute engineering strategies aligned with company goals, fostering innovation and continuous improvement.
- Provide technical direction and guidance to software engineering teams, ensuring adherence to best practices and high-quality standards.
- Drive technical excellence and ensure the adoption of cutting-edge technologies and methodologies.
2. Cross-Team Collaboration:
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including program management, systems engineering, design, and certification, to ensure seamless software development and delivery.
- Foster effective communication and collaboration across different teams, promoting a culture of transparency and knowledge sharing.
3. People Management and Leadership:
- Lead, mentor, and inspire a team of software engineers, fostering a culture of professional growth, inclusivity, and high performance.
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members, enabling them to reach their full potential and excel in their roles.
- Drive recruitment efforts, attracting top talent and building diverse, high-performing engineering teams.
4. Technical Expertise:
- Leverage your in-depth knowledge of software development, particularly in C and object-oriented programming, to guide architectural decisions and help the team solve complex technical challenges.
- Oversee the development of firmware and software solutions, ensuring they meet design specifications, performance targets, and quality standards.
5. Project and Product Management:
- Work with Program Management and the rest of the Engineering organization to manage and prioritize projects, resources, and timelines to deliver software projects on schedule and within budget.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to define project scopes, requirements, and deliverables, and manage expectations throughout the development lifecycle.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Proven experience (minimum 8 years) in software engineering leadership, including managing teams of engineers in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong background in C programming language and object-oriented programming.
- Demonstrated expertise in firmware engineering, software development, and computer networking.
- Experience developing embedded software to run on either RTOS or bare-metal platforms.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with a track record of building strong relationships and collaborating effectively across teams.
- Experience working with Agile/scrum or similar development methodologies
- Experience or training on formal development processes for design assurance in safety-critical systems, in areas such as aerospace, automotive, or medical
- Experience using a formal V-model development processes such as DO-178, ISO 26262
- Experience implementing and using wireless technologies and protocols
- Experience with GUI development and user interface design
- Experience implementing cybersecurity processes including threat identification and mitigation for wireless and wireline protocols, authentication, and encryption.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.