Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
Range Energy is looking for an experienced firmware engineer to help develop our next generation products. You will be responsible for developing real time applications for multiple embedded ECUs using C/C++. You will be deeply involved at every step of product development, and wear many hats as a member of our growing engineering team.
Inside the Role
- Collaborate with other team-members to bring up ECUs on our prototype vehicle.
- Develop safety critical firmware for our ECUs, and create test procedures for software and system validation.
- Port and incorporate third party software stack or module into our ECUs.
- Follow best practices and procedures for firmware development and documentation using GIT, ClickUp or other tools.
- Troubleshoot and debug field issues on prototype trailers.
The Must Haves
- Minimum 6 years of industry experience, with an emphasis on shipping products.
- BS/MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or equivalent experience.
- High proficiency in embedded C/C++, with a focus on developing high reliability code for real-time applications.
- Experience in embedded peripheral communication protocols, such as CAN, LIN, Ethernet, I2C, SPI, and USART.
- Ability to use JTAG or other tools to debug on target embedded ECU hardware.
- Able to optimize code for limited memory and processing power systems.
- Understanding bootup and firmware update process in embedded ECUs.
- Moderate knowledge of electrical engineering theory and practice.
- Familiarity with automated firmware testing processes.
- Hands-on embedded debugging and diagnostics experience, including familiarity with common laboratory tools (oscilloscope, logic analyzer, CAN interfaces, JTAG interfaces).
- Basic knowledge of electric vehicle powertrain architecture, including high voltage system design.
- Excellent knowledge of high level communication protocols and implementation such as UDS, J1939, XCP, TCP, UDP.
- Experience in embedded Linux development will be an advantage.
- Basic controls theory knowledge.
- Physical Requirements: Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds of equipment. Comfortable with occasional bending, kneeling, and climbing as required for infrastructure maintenance.
- Travel Requirements: Occasional travel may be required for training, pilot support, conferences, or to support remote office locations
- While we appreciate the importance of schedule flexibility, it's essential to note that the nature of this role necessitates a regular and consistent onsite presence.
Range Energy’s compensation package includes a competitive salary, equity for all full-time roles, and a generous benefits package. The salary range for Mountain View, CA based applicants is between $140,000 - $220,000 annually. The total compensation will be determined based on multiple factors including domain knowledge, experience and location.
Range Energy values applicants of all different backgrounds, experiences, and skill sets. If you think you could excel in this role (regardless if you meet all the qualifications), we encourage you to apply. Range Energy is an equal opportunity employer which means that we consider applicants for hire and make employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, disability, age, genetic information, or other legally protected status. Range Energy is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants who request an accommodation. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please contact our Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Range Energy
Range Energy (Range) is accelerating the electrification of commercial transportation via powered trailers for the heavy duty truck market. With a solution that can easily hook up to any tow vehicle, Range’s powered trailers can rapidly ease the transition to electrification and meet its commercial partners' immediate needs and long-term ambitions.
At Range, we are a community of makers, doers, and creators. Our ultimate mission is to make towing cleaner, safer, and more efficient. In order to achieve that, we must be obsessed with simplifying complexity. The dedication we have for the innovative work we’re doing each day is driven by empathy for our customers. We celebrate creativity, tolerate risk, and believe in the unique advantages of speed to market.
Range was founded in 2021 and is led by a team with a breadth of EV industry expertise from Tesla, Zoox, Honda, and more. We’ve got deep experience rapidly making revolutionary vehicles - and their enabling technologies - a reality at scale. Our company is backed by leading investors including UP Partners, R7, Yamaha Motor Ventures, and more. Join us!
Range Energy participates in E-Verify in the United States. Range Energy will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.