Associate General Counsel
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2023
Range Energy is a rapidly growing startup dedicated to accelerating the electrification of commercial transportation through innovative solutions. Our mission is to create a cleaner transportation future by revolutionizing the heavy trucking industry. We are seeking a talented and experienced Associate General Counsel to join our team and establish our in-house legal department. As the first hire in our legal department, the Associate General Counsel will play a pivotal role in defining the company’s legal strategy and assembling the right internal and external resources, templates, processes, etc. to support the company’s rapid growth. This position calls for an individual adept at dynamically balancing business needs, resource availability, and legal risk – with an exceptional ability to translate between these domains. Superlative written and verbal communication skills will be critical at both the 50 and 50,000 ft levels. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in intellectual property (IP) law, commercial agreements (including M&A activities), and vehicle/transportation regulations. This is a hands-on role, and candidates should expect to take an active role in drafting documents.
- Collaborate closely with the C-suite, department managers, and cross-functional teams to provide expert legal guidance and support.
- Continuously evaluate the company’s legal risk, and work proactively with Range leadership to maintain an acceptable risk posture.
- Draft and review legal documents.
- Assemble a resource-efficient legal process for agreements, including supplier agreements, NDAs, joint development agreements, and sales agreements, among others.
- Manage external law firms and other resources (e.g. patent agents, regulatory experts, etc.) to ensure efficient triaging and prioritization of legal matters.
- Stay up-to-date with relevant laws, regulations, and industry trends to provide timely advice and guidance to internal stakeholders.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school.
- Active membership in good standing with the relevant state Bar Association.
- 4-10 years of experience as a practicing attorney, with a focus on drafting and negotiating commercial agreements related to hardware, preferably in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Demonstrated expertise in drafting and editing legal documents, including supplier agreements, NDAs, joint development agreements, and customer sales/pilot agreements.
- Solid understanding of intellectual property law, specifically relating to patent filings and protection.
- Background in corporate governance and contracts.
- Proven ability to manage external counsel effectively and ensure they are working on matters with the correct understanding and in the appropriate order.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, balancing multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Collaborative mindset with exceptional interpersonal skills.
Range Energy’s compensation package includes a competitive salary, equity for all full-time roles, and a generous benefits package. The salary range for Mountain View, CA based applicants is between $231,000 - $275,000 USD annually. The total compensation will be determined based on multiple factors including domain knowledge, experience and location.
Range Energy values applicants of all different backgrounds, experiences, and skill sets. If you think you could excel in this role (regardless if you meet all the qualifications), we encourage you to apply. Range Energy is an equal opportunity employer which means that we consider applicants for hire and make employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, disability, age, genetic information, or other legally protected status. Range Energy is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants who request an accommodation. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please contact our Talent Acquisition team at email@example.com
About Range Energy
Range Energy (Range) is accelerating the electrification of commercial transportation via powered trailers for the heavy duty truck market. With a solution that can easily hook up to any tow vehicle, Range’s powered trailers can rapidly ease the transition to electrification and meet its commercial partners' immediate needs and long-term ambitions.
At Range, we are a community of makers, doers, and creators. Our ultimate mission is to make towing cleaner, safer, and more efficient. In order to achieve that, we must be obsessed with simplifying complexity. The dedication we have for the innovative work we’re doing each day is driven by empathy for our customers. We celebrate creativity, tolerate risk, and believe in the unique advantages of speed to market.
Range was founded in 2021 and is led by a team with a breadth of EV industry expertise from Tesla, Zoox, Honda, and more. We’ve got deep experience rapidly making revolutionary vehicles - and their enabling technologies - a reality at scale. Our company is backed by leading investors including UP Partners, R7, Yamaha Motor Ventures, and more. Join us!
Range Energy participates in E-Verify in the United States. Range Energy will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.